Annual Meeting Minutes
League of Women Voters of Hawaii
General Membership Meeting
April 25, 2009
Call to Order - Leilani Bronson-Crelly called the meeting to order at 10:00 AM and thanked Helen Hemmes for the use of the PA system to allow us to hear the meeting better.
Roll Call: Michael Rohr, Lois A. Cecil, George A. Wilkins, Marian Wilkins, Susan Dursin, Alberta Lindsay, Helen Hemmes, Helene Hale, Ramona Hussey, Leilani Bronson-Crelly, Julie Mink, Karin Hazelhoff, Sue Irvine, Margaret Drake, and Donna Oba
Welcome - Pam Elders (guest) and Nina Buchanan (speaker)
- Approval of Minutes - Margaret Drake made a motion to approve minutes from the April 26, 2008 General Membership meeting, motion seconded. Corrections were offered to correct spelling names. Helen Hemmes made a motion to approve minutes with corrections and motion was seconded and passed.
- Treasurer’s Report - Sue Irvine presented the Treasurer’s Report and New Budget. Money is still in Checking and Savings as rate on CD’s are too low to warrant movement at this time. Marian Wilkins moved that we raise Public Relations from
VOTER, September, 2009, Page 3
- $100 to $500 in the new budget. Motion seconded. Discussion followed. Sue Dursin called for a vote on the amended budget. Alberta Lindsay moved we accept the amended budget and motion was seconded and passed.
- Membership Report - Lois Cecil reported we have 46 paid members and many members who have not paid dues which are due on the date of the General Meeting. Lois Cecil offered a motion that dues be due on May 1st and that $3.00 be deducted for each month paid earlier and $3.00 added for each month paid late. Motion was seconded and discussion followed. Vote was called on the motion and the motion failed. Sue Dursin made a motion that the date for dues payment be May 1st. with anyone joining after January 31st, not be charged until May 1st. Motion seconded and vote carried with 1 nay.
- Message from the Outgoing Co-Presidents
- Nominating Committee Report - Lois Cecil presented the slate of candidates for the 2009-2010 Board. Sue Dursin made a motion to accept the slate as presented and the motion was seconded and passed.
- Program Committee Report - Marian Wilkins presented program suggestion from Marnie Herkes. Discussion of programs issues from this past year and what emphasis should be on for next year and also use of Modern Media Outreach. Sue Dursin made
motion that the 2009-10 Program shall consist of Voter Education, Voter Access and Sunshine in Government. Motion seconded and vote carried.
- Presentation to Ada the former owner of Tex’s Drive-in and introduction of Sherry Baker the new owner.
- Marian Wilkins asked about changes in by-laws. Helen Hemmes advised that amendments are decided by the board and presented to the membership with one month to read before voting.
- Presentation by Dr. Nina Buchanan who is currently writing a book on changes in education in Hawaii
- Discussion of Interaction on the League website.
- Discussion of Media outreach such as table at Community Enterprise of Kona Meetings
- Meeting adjourned by Leilani at 12:30 p.m.
Submitted by Julie Mink, Secretary