LOCAL GOVERNMENT - Emphasis on open and responsive government. Action to include observing at the City Council. Testifying and lobbying on issues relating to League positions and validation of the following points of current League position:
- The council should have reliable and independent sources of information to assist it in its legislating and policy-making duties.
- The League supports the concept of the citizen legislator. This term is defined as one who gives only part of one's time to public service: that may be part of a day, some weeks or months, or a few years away from the private sector.
- The council should be non-partisan and composed of some members detected by district and others at large.
- We believe that a small, visible council functions most effectively and can more readily be held accountable for its actions.
- If a council member faces a substantial conflict of interest in a matter before the council, said member should be free to abstain from voting.
PLANNING & ZONING - Promote member and public understanding of the planning process. Promote city planning which includes overall development objectives and encourages citizen participation. Promote action on planning, zoning and housing.
TRANSPORTATION - Promote understanding of Oahu's transportation needs and problems among League members and the public. Support implementation of "bus rapid transit" and other alternatives to transit.
NEIGHBORHOOD BOARDS - Support continuation of a system to strengthen resident participation I governmental process, with improvement to the system.
CITY FUNDING - Support provision for adequate revenues to provide for necessary public services.
INITIATIVES - Support direct and indirect initiative and referendum at city level for both amending and charter and for ordinances.
RECYCLING - Support and monitor the implementation of recycling efforts by the city and the community.
SCHOOLS - Support and educate the public on what needs to be done, in addition to following legislative proposals. Honolulu will implement the position taken by the State on schools-of-choice.
HUMAN RESOURCES - Support and educate the public on issues covering violence as well as basic human needs. Honolulu will implement the positions taken by the State and National Leagues.