Test Your E.Q. (Energy Quotient)
Cover [the answers below] as you take this quiz to check your knowledge and understanding of energy-environment issues.
- How each of the energy used in gas stoves supplies the pilot lights? (a) 10% (b) 25% (c) 50%
- How many soft drink cans can be manufactured from recycled aluminum with the energy needed to make a single can from aluminum ore? a) 3 (b) 5 (c) 20
- How long would a 100-watt light bulb burn on the energy needed to manufacture one throw-away soft drink can or bottle? (a) 10 minutes (b) 5 hours (c) 20 hours
- How much of the energy stored in crude petroleum is lost between the oil well and a moving car?
(a) 20% (b) 60% (c) 90%
- The heat energy of a gallon of gasoline is equivalent to (a) 5 man-days labor (b) 15 man-days labor (c) 25 man-days labor.
- How much faster than their rate of production are we consuming our fossil fuels? (a) 10 times
(b) 1,000 times (c) 1,000,000 times
- What fraction of the world's energy consumption occurs in the U.S.? (a) over 10% (b) over 20% (c) over 30%
- Which of the following fuel resources is in greatest danger of exhaustion? (a) coal (b) petroleum (o) natural gas
- In the year 2000, American total energy demand will be (a) the same as today (b) twice as much as today (c) three times as much as today.
ANSWERS TO E.Q. QUESTIONS
- (c) Approximately half of the gas used in a gas stove is used because the pilot lights burn continuously.
- (c) The largest share of energy goes into process g the aluminum ore, recycling is a great energy saver.
- (b) A 100-watt lamp could burn 5 hours on the energy used to manufacture a disposable can or bottle.
- (c) Ninety-four percent of the energy in the gasoline from crude petroleum is lost in making your car move.
- (b) 15 man-days of labor. One barrel of oil contains heat energy equivalent to the energy of a man at hard labor for 2 years.
- (c) In less than 500 years man will have consumed essentially all of the coal, oil, and gas that nature started forming 500,000,000 years ago. By comparison that same fraction of a calendar year is 30 seconds.
- (c) More than a third of the world's energy is consumed by the 6% of the world t s population residing in the U.S.
- (c) Natural gas reserves in the U.S. are expected to be exhausted in about 4o years, Petroleum should last for a century. Coal, Soo years or so.
- (b) For more than a century, American demand for energy has doubled on the average every 20-25 years.